Wednesday 24 November 2010

'Starry Night'


This painting is 'Starry Night' by Van Gogh.
It's definitely one of my favourite paintings and I have a little copy on my wall at university.

I've been staring at it a lot today and thought I'd like to write about it.

I think this is one of the most beautiful representations of the world.
The colours, the texture, the patterns.
I love how extraordinary he has made the sky.
Something I do often is look up at the night sky and I really do think it is extraordinary.

This picture makes me think of a conversation I had with my mum in the Museum of Modern Art in New York.
I told her that I felt Van Gogh's paintings were like dreams.
The whole environment seems to have a softness but at the same time it is so vivid.
I've dreamed about just walking around inside one of his paintings before.
I'm not entirely sure why, but to me the environment seems to have such a benevolence about it and a calmness.

After I've had a long, tiring day or if I've experienced something difficult I always look at 'Starry Night' and feel a certain wave of peace.
I think it's an example of some of the extraordinary beauty human beings are capable of creating and of how incredible the world itself is.
The 'dream' is to have a larger copy hanging in my house one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment