Thursday 21 June 2012

'Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness' - Martin Luther King Jr.

Altruism. The number of people that must feel murderous when I bring up this subject is insane. I've been debating with one friend for almost two years about whether it exists - I don't see either of us backing down from our views any time soon. Our debate mainly consists of my providing him with what I consider to be examples of altruism. Apparently I haven't provided an example yet. Hmph. I disagree, I think I have.

I think it's pretty sad that I'm in a minority for believing that altruism is real.

I believe in extraordinary human kindness. I don't think every action is self-motivated. That is the main argument against altruism - that every action, is in some way, going to have a positive outcome for the person doing it, which they are inherently motivated by - suggesting that no action is selfless.

For example, a person who carries out a good deed, such as helping an old lady cross the street (don't you think old ladies must get so sick of that?), is not doing so out of the pure goodness of their heart but because they are aware that they will receive the admiration of others. A friend of mine went as far as to suggest that society conditions us to carry out good deeds because the notion of the reward we will receive is deep in our subconscious. We help others because of an underlying understanding that we will be rewarded.

I think I may waver in to sounding like an emotional hippy (a regular occurrence) but I just feel this is so wrong. Yes, looking back over history, even at the present day, man has proved that we are capable of unbelievable cruelty. But, I think this can often make people cynical and overshadow the incredible good we are capable of - I think this good can be selfless.

When I get in to this argument with people I have a primary example that I think is a genuine case of altruism. Yes, I'll accept altruism is not your everyday occurrence but it does happen.

So, my primary example - the bravery and selflessness of Wesley Autry - the New York Subway Hero. Wesley Autry was a fifty year old construction worker and about four years ago he was extraordinarily selfless for a stranger. He was standing on a subway platform with his two young daughters when another man started having a seizure and fell on to the tracks - just as a train was pulling in to the station. There were seventy five other people on the platform and they all froze - inevitably waiting to watch this man die. However, Mr Autry, a man with no greater excuse than anyone else to help this stranger (in fact, a man with a reason not to get involved - he had his two daughters present) jumped down on to the tracks. He placed the man having a seizure in a drainage trench between the tracks and then proceeded to lie on top of him to hold him still. The height of the two men lying on the floor was twenty and a half inches - the train clearance was twenty one inches - they survived by half an inch. Wesley Autry put his life at risk, completely uncertain of whether he would survive, for a complete stranger.

I think this is a pure example of the great kindness man is capable of. Yes, I'm not certain there are many people who would display such bravery, but the world is not entirely void of these people.

Even if you don't believe my hippy rantings, I still think you can just marvel at this example of human compassion. This goes beyond the call of duty. I remember learning about this man in my A Level psychology class and some of my class mates being adamant that they would have done the same. However, I think if we are honest with ourselves many of us would have frozen like the rest of the people on that platform. I think this is why people do not believe in altruism - it is rare - it's not a phenomenon I'm claiming happens all the time - but it is possible.

A further thing I frequently find myself saying to people, not so much as an argument but as an explanation, is that I view altruism like many people view religion - I have faith in it - I do not require constant evidence - I have faith in human goodness - as I have said many times before, I think human beings are extraordinary.

To return to the title of this blog - the words of Martin Luther King Jr. Sometimes I wonder whether the issue with altruism may lie with decision-making. The complete denial of it may be seen as 'letting you off the hook' in regards to selfless behaviour. We can all make the active decision to sacrifice for others. My engagement with this subject has made it something I'm certainly aware of and strive towards. So, whether you believe in it, are sceptical or completely deny it, you can still strive towards an altruistic attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment