Saturday 25 June 2011

Cooking

I cook when I'm stressed. I cook when I'm sad. I cook when I need a break to relax. I also cook at happy times - this isn't an activity especially reserved for the blues. It's one of my favourite things to do, so logically it makes sense that I do it when I'm sad. 

It was around the time of my a level exams that you could barely move in my house as you struggled against the mountain of food I'd created. I'd cook at least once every day. 
I remember watching an episode of The Simpsons where Marge has a break down and is cooking up a feast at about three in the morning. I thought 'Man. That's definitely the way I'd go'.
Luckily I've never reached the early hours cooking craze. 

Whilst cooking yesterday I reflected on why it is a reassuring thing for me to do. 
I think it's good because it's a form of creation. It's like a minor form of achievement. I've taken the basics and created something of my own. I can become creative and switch things around - I combine recipes a lot. And of course I get the satisfaction of the result - yum!

I also think cooking is quite a stable thing for me. I know what I'm doing. There are instructions and a sense of guidance. I know I can't really mess it up if I follow the guidelines - confirming the idea that this is something I can succeed in.
I think I have a strong instinct to have a sense of control. This is probably true for a lot of people. We like to know what's going on and why things are happening. I think cooking gives me a sense of control and understanding when other aspects of my life are difficult to handle.

Since I've been home from university I've also just been cooking a lot because I've missed it this year. It gives my mum a nice break and me the chance to improve.
Next year I'm living in a house instead of halls so I'll be cooking every day. I can't wait because I think it'll give me time each day to relax and indulge in what I enjoy most.






Some stuff I made: a vegetable broth-ish thing (lots of pak choi - yum!), almond and chocolate cookies (adding oats makes them have a nice grainy taste) and chicken chow mein noodles (a family favourite). 

No comments:

Post a Comment