Monday 19 December 2011

La la la.

Hmmm so this blog hasn't been the cheeriest thing recently? Well, maybe sad poetry does it for some people? Bah, it could have been worse.

Anyway, I thought I'd turn that around with some lovely music. I've just had a couple of songs in my head recently that I think are fantastic. Do they go together? Not really. Are they similar? Not really. Ah well. They've been my soundtrack in the last few weeks of work before coming home for the holidays! I find myself creating a ridiculous amount of facebook posts with music people should listen to so I thought I'd cut that down and post a bunch on here instead.

1. Pumped up Kicks (Acoustic) - Foster the People


I've really come to like the acoustic version of this song over the original. Not that the original isn't great in itself and people should listen to that too. Just what I noticed when listening to this is that the upbeat style of the original song masked the incredible lyrics. It's quite sinister really (did I say this blog was supposed to be more uplifting? Whoops!) but tells an interesting story. Also in losing the heavy layering of instruments etc. the beauty of the tune on the guitar and the warm quiver of Mark Foster's voice really come to light.

2. Holocene - Bon Iver


What was that about making this blog cheerier?!? Well, to be fair, I don't find this song sad. I find it beautiful but I can see why people may read it as sad. The subject isn't particularly happy and there is the usual melancholy in Justin Vernon's voice but... I find it so light and dreamy. Justin Vernon does have the most otherworldly voice - it's especially striking considering that when you look at the guy he really looks like some rough lumberjack who should be out in the forest shooting deer or something?

3. The Fear - Ben Howard


The song title may not suggest it but I swear this is happier! I've had this discussion with so many people - a beautiful voice or a powerful voice? For me it's always a powerful voice. I will always prefer a voice where I can feel the artist's energy and expression. Ben Howard is my new 'powerful voice' - he's up there with Florence Welch, Marcus Foster, Newton Faulkner, Adele, Gotye etc. I just love his roughness and that broken quality that goes so well with the guitar.

4. Every You, Every Me - Placebo


I know a lot of people think Placebo aren't happy but I think the energy and power in their reflections breaks away from this. Lyrically and musically there's a rawness and a franticness to them that I really love. You really feel like you're in the ramblings of someone's head - there's no hesitation or guise. Lyrically, especially in this song, there is such honesty about the narrator's character flaws and their violently passionate relationship with their partner. Anger and passion is a powerful combination and I think that's how I'd describe Placebo.

5. Midnight City - M83


This is my new motivation/dance song. M83 never fail to provide good electronic music to walk down the street to. Like most of these artists, in their later work I think M83 developed a greater subtlety and energy in their new tracks. Also the saxophone at the end makes me nostalgic and wishing that I had the time to pick mine up again - in the instrument world it is the definition of 'cool'.

6. No Light, No Light - Florence + The Machine


I know Florence got a lot of slack for this video, which is a shame because I think it's the best song from the new album, so I'll ignore the video for now. My favourite track on the last album was 'Cosmic Love' and I think this is a development of that style. The song begins so beautifully and then swoops in to the dramatic Florence everyone loves. She has a powerful voice but I think the start of this song demonstrates how beautiful and soaring it can be. Lyrically, it's a really interesting focus on the lightness and darkness of a relationship.

7. For You - Tracy Chapman


I can finish on a happy note! Not that I don't think the other songs are great and they make me happy - they just don't seem very happy. Ah! so be it. Tracy Chapman is a goddess. This song is simply her singing the loveliest lyrics known to man twice round. Just her voice and an acoustic guitar. Tracy Chapman's simplicity and her beautiful deep voice make her timeless. People know her for 'Fast Car' (which hands down is utterly divine) but I think her other songs should be explored as well - she's by no means a one song artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment